Fuse Board Replacement

Fuse Board Replacement  / Consumer Unit upgrade  /  New Fuse board

We would recommend you have your fuse board upgraded for a new 17 edition consumer unit. Far too many homes still have old fuse boards.

This would provide far more protection to your home and much more importantly, you and your family, is it time for a change. A new consumer unit will bring your home up to current electrical safety standards. they are also easy to use, if a fuse blows you’ve got to change the fuse wire, if the MCB blows on the new board, you just switch it back on.

K&L Electrical have compleated 100’s of Fuse Board replacements and our clients have been more than satisfied with the end results, just take a look at what they have said abouts us, please see our testimonials

Only use a fully qualified electrician when replacing a consumer unit, please don’t try to swap your fuse board yourself or have someone who can’t provide any paper work and not got much experience do it for you, you don’t want to risk it when it comes to electrical safety, trust us!


K&L Electrical can replace your old fuse board for a new consumer unit.


The simple fact is that some fuse boards have become a liability, and simply don’t comply with modern health and safety requirements. so if your fuse box is out dated it could have been installed in the 1950’s. (Not quite as safe as one of todays 17th edition dual RCD boards.) Click here to see different types of 17th Edition Consumer Unit.

Not sure if your fuse board is safe?

Are you a tenant in a rented property and the fuse wire on the board keep blowing fuses, or does your fuse board keep tripping for no reason. We work with property landlords of all sizes rectifying these issues, K&L Electrical are happy to offer a free survey of your fuse board and provide you with a free no-obligation quote to replace the fuse board or rectifying the issue. With this quote you know exactly what electrical problems your fuse board might have and the exact cost to rectify the issues. click here to see questions and answers about your fuse box.

“No Hidden Charges with any of our work”

If your fuse board / fuse box has a wooden back board, cast iron or ceramic switches, or a mixture of fuses it is likely that it dates back to before the 1960s and will need to be replaced. Older fuse boards / fuse boxes also offer little protection from electric shock. They dont have the protection that a new 17th edition board would have, 

So how much would a fuse board replacement cost, click here to find out..


We provide a FREE estimate to replace existing fuse boards with a Modern Consumer Unit which provides a far greater level of protection. Our prices are affordable with a firstclass service,



Read this article, ( consider using a reputable company to replace your fuse board )

Telephone K&L Electrical directly on 01925 225191 for pricing or contact us using our online form to recive a quote.

All our electricians and staff are uniformed and carry company identification. Each electrician is qualified to the new 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations and CITY & GUILDS 2391 Inspection & Testing Certification of Electrical Installations.

The NIC-EIC Insurance Backed Warranty covers work done by contractors registered to the NIC-EIC Domestic Installer Scheme. See the benefits of using a contractor registered by the NIC-EIC.


 A Video of a Fuse Board Replacement, old fuse board being changed to a new consumer unit with MCB’s





I don’t understand what an RCD or RCBO is! or would they offer more protection?

Simple answer is YES..

Don’t panic! K&L Electrical are happy to provide a qualified electrician to visit your property and assess your fuse board or consumer unit for free, simply contact us. Everything about replacing a consumer unit is explained clearly and concisely to you and nothing is skipped over.


The photo on the left is a main switch on a consumer unit, this had a loose connection that caused the switch to burnt out. we was called out to this late one night after the customer lost power to the property, after removing the cover it was apparent what had happened, the neutral was loose causing it to arc inside the terminal. This caused damage to the main switch and the wires around the switch. We repaired the cables and replaced the main switch.


The IEE Wiring Regulations (17th Edition : BS 7671, Published 2008) requires most if not all circuits in domestic properties to be RCD-protected (residual-current device). The most common being a main switch with RCBOs protecting each individual circuit. An alternative method favours a main switch with two RCDs protecting separate DIN rails. If careful consideration is given as to what each bar will control in the way of upstairs and downstairs lighting and power circuits.

With a old fuse board  or consumer box with rewireable fuse wire ( BS 3036) when the fuse goes you have to replace the fuse wire, this could cause a few problems especially in the dark, not only that you have got to find what fuse has blown, then have to find your screwdriver to replace it.


Does your fuse box look like the one on the left,  upgrade to a new consumer unit like the one on the right for £300.00.




What is a consumer unit or fusebox / fuse board?

With a new consumer unit or mains board you can easily identify which has blown, and then simply switch it back on. Its that simple.

A consumer unit or fuse box is used to control and distribute electricity around our homes. people have different names for distribution boards, they are known as: Fuse boxes, fuse boards, electric consumer box, consumer boards, consumer fuse boxes, truth be told they all mean the same.

A distribution board usually contains:

  1. Mains switch
  2. Fuses or Circuit Breakers, MCB
  3. Residual Current Device or RCD



Mains Switch


Mains Switch

The main switch in the distribution board allows you to turn off the electricity supply to your electrical installation. Some electrical installations have more than one mains switch. To give an example if your home is heated by electric storage heaters, you may have a separate consumer unit (fuse box) for them. The consumer unit should be easy to get to, so find out where the mains switch is to turn the electricity off in an emergency.



Fuse Box Example



Rewirable fuses have a piece of special fuse wire running between two screws. When a fault or overload current flows through the fuse wire it will become hot. The heat will melt the fuse wire when the current goes above an acceptable level. The melted fuse breaks the circuit, disconnecting the faulty circuit. With this type of board you have got to replace the wire inside the fuse holder when it blows.



Circuit Breaker



Circuit Breakers

Circuit breakers are automatic protection devices fitted in the consumer unit which switch off a circuit if a fault is detected. Circuit breakers are similar in size to fuse holders but provide more precise protection than fuses. When they ‘trip’, you can simply reset the switch. However, you first need to find and correct the fault.



Residual Current Device

Residual Current Devices

An RCD is a switching device that trips a circuit under certain conditions, and disconnects the electricity supply and should disconect the supply within 0.4 of a second = 40ms. If your electrical installation includes one or more RCDs then test them regularly. You can do this by following the instruction label which should be near to the Residual Current Device.

The label should read as follows: “This installation, or part of it, is protected by a device which automatically switches off the supply if an earth fault develops. Test quarterly (every three months) by pressing the button marked ‘T’ or ‘Test’.”



The device should switch off the supply. You should then switch it back on to restore the supply. If the device does not switch off the supply when you press the button then you would need to contact us.

Testing the button every three months is important. However, do not hold the test button for a long period if the device does not trip. If the RCD does not switch off the supply when you press the test button, contact us for advice and further information.

K&L Electrical are keen to support and encourage householders to install RCDs and take basic safety measures to ensure their homes and families are protected from the potential dangers of electricity.

When we change an old fuse board to a new consumer unit, it is done to the new 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations and a CITY & GUILDS 2391 Inspection & Testing Certificate is provided for the Electrical Installation.

To contact K&L Electrical please telephone 01925 225191 or use our simple contact form.






About Us

Since 2002 K&L Electrical have been providing electrical services and support for residential and commercial customers throughout Warrington, St Helens, Liverpool, and Greater Manchester areas.

Contact Us

K&L Electrical Services

Newton Le Willows
United Kingdom
Tel: 01925 225191
Mobile: 07732215418 / 07719241836

Back to Top